Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Mind is its Own Place

Once when I was little, I was playing with my Strawberry Shortcake dolls in my room. Apparently, my mom was calling me in for dinner, but I didn't hear her. I was playing. She came in my room and called me in to dinner, but I didn't hear her. I was playing. She came over and touched my head, but I didn't feel it. I was playing.

In case you were wondering, I'm still a lot like that, but age has helped my mind to kick in after someone touches me. I can still tune out the world on occasion. I honestly just don't hear a thing when I'm absorbed. My mind just takes over and I'm off in my own world. I'm not meaning to be rude; it's not a personal thing. It just happens.

Last night, I was trying to get the kids ready for our bowling extravaganza, and I called Madeline to come get her hair done. She was just in the living room playing a game. After a few minutes, I went and looked. Yep, she was still there. 'Liney, come get your hair done.' She was still there, absorbed as ever. I walked over and touched her, and she didn't move. It didn't phase her. I closed the computer top, and she finally realized I was speaking.

I laughed.

It's a good thing that my mind can make heaven of hell. I'm hoping she inherited that part too.

No comments: